Saturday 1 June 2013

Boxes and Hearts

 Here is the box I decorated for Inkylicious. I saw it in Dunelm Mill for £3.99 and immediately loved it. It has a small chalkboard behind the picture, which I had thought about painting onto, but the colour and texture of the wood made me think of the beach, so I added a beach scene, using the windswept stamp, on silk art card and some shells. I ummed and ahhed about whether to add anything else, but Meg said it was fine as it was so I left it. 
 Here is a close-up of the lid. the larger shells were collected from the Norfolk coast a few years ago, and have been in a bowl in my bathroom ever since. the tiny shells were bought on the east coast - a bag full for £1.00! I found some sand in a bucket in my garage which we had bought a couple of years ago when nowhere had any salt left in the snow. I managed to spill sand all over my craft space and had to spend Sunday clearing it all off as everything was crunching! Next time I will use sandpaper - much less messy! Magic hands used it as the cup of chance on the show, which made me laugh - hope no more sand escaped!
I also found a wooden heart in The Range for 99p. I gessoed it and then tried stamping on it but the images lost their definition with water based ink and I didn't have the shades I wanted in any other ink. I gessoed and started again. Next I tried stamping in acrylic paint and it worked brilliantly. I used docrafts pearlised acrylic in blues and purples, dusting just a bit of purple ink over too. The sentiment was stamped in Versamagic ink and comes from the 'Simply Said' stamp sheet. They tried to show this on Create and Craft, but the lights were way too strong, and the pearlised paint reflected them!Hope this photo in my porch on a dull day gives you a better idea!
Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Craftnut said...

Beautiful work as always Sally. Tracy xx

Lisa Jane said...

oh these are brilliant .. i love the box .. as i love anything sea related !
Lisa x

Paula Whittaker said...

I adored the box when I saw it on the tv.....brilliant piece and the heart is super too.

TAM said...

Loved the box when I saw it on the show and now feel a trip to Dunelm is in order (though I see from the website availability may be limited - I wonder why!!!)
Fabulous work Sally - thanks for the inspiration

Doreen said...

Beautiful creations Sally.xxx

Paula (PEP) said...

The box is definitely just as Meg said & I bet you had a very crunchy time on Sunday - dire when that happens, I've done it with micro beads on my craft counter! I couldn't help but laugh over Magic Hands!!
I'm just getting some acrylic paint so I'm excited to know about the stamping........ that heart certainly looks good.
Paula (PEP)

brenda said...

Sorry I've been MIA this week Sally and missed some of your makes, love what you been doing with those grasses both in the post below and this one.

The scene is grated on top of that box could be a photograph, so realistic.

B x

Tracy said...

Hi Sally,
I have only just wtched the Inkylicious show I taped from last week and loved all your pieces featured on there. And it was nice to hear your name and that you got recognition for your fabulous work.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

craftimamma said...

These are both beautiful projects ~Sally. Inspirational idea for the box but have to say it would have been sandpaper for me. I have a real aversion to sand and just cannot stand that crunching ..... too many crunchy sandwiches on the beach as a child, lol! You did get a lovely end result though and that heart is just so pretty. Pity it didn't show up well on TV but it looks wonderful here. Love the pretty colours.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

MaryH said...

Gracious me, even more beautifulness. Living in So. Fla for long years, I really appreciated the sea grass stamping on this. It really said "beach" and your shells were perfect on this box. Loved the gesso'd heart too. Another technique I want to try. Great projects & TFS

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW Sally your heart is so beautiful and the box is adorable, so lovely. I love it.

Hugs
Anke