Monday 13 July 2015

A recipe for you


A long time ago, when Meg was about 2, I remember having a conversation with my mum on the phone about a spinach cheese and potato pie she had made, and how much my Dad and brother had enjoyed it. Not long afterwards she was taken into hospital with Cancer of the oesophagus and never properly came out again. I never did find out how she made her pie, but decided I would use the ingredients and have a go. After several years of experimenting, this is how I have settled on making it, and yes, Mum, it is very tasty! I tend to use reduced fat cheese and an oil spray to keep the calories down a little. Stronger cheese in smaller quantities helps too. I have used garlic and herb philly, added broad beans or butter beans instead of celery... the possibilities are endless. Try it and see. All I ask is that if you do share on-line you link back to this post.

Spinach, cheese and potato pie

4 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
1 stick of celery
1 onion
1 large bag spinach (200-300g)
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 packet filo pastry
Butter or oil
180g carton of Philadelphia light cheese
Grated cheddar (I use 250g of lighter mature cheddar)

1. Prepare potatoes
2. Sweat the onions and celery in the oil or butter, before placing all the spinach on top and adding the lid to the pan. When the spinach has wilted remove from the heat.
3. Mash the Philadelphia and cheese into the potato, then add the celery, onion and spinach. If the sweating/wilting process has produced a lot of liquid, drain first. Mix until combined.
4. Grease a pie dish (mine is about 10 inches across) and add 5 layers of filo, leaving excess filo hanging over the edge
5. Put the filling into the pastry lined dish and lift the overhanging filo to fold over the pie. An additional sheet of filo may be needed to cover the top thoroughly.
6. Brush the top with melted butter or spay with oil, before baking at 200ºC/400ºF for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoy it if you give it a go

4 comments:

Fliss said...

This looks really yummy Sally and thanks so much for sharing as I love spinach and it sounds so lovely I'm going to have to try it.
Thanks again,
Fliss xx

Jackie said...

Cooking and me really do not get on so I won't avail myself of your recipe even though it looks wonderful :o)
Jackie xx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This looks delicious Sally, I'm sure it tasted it too. I'll certainly add the recipe to my book.

Sue xx

Joan said...

Sounds lovely Sally but I'm no cook, I can even burn water LOL

Joan